Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Extremely Loud and Increadibly Close-- quotes


“I did not need to know if he could love me. I needed to know if he could need me.” [84]

“Just because you’re an atheist, that doesn’t mean you wouldn’t love for things to have reasons for why they are.” [13]

“I’m trying,” Mr. Goldberg said to me, as if only the two of us existed. “Trying what?” I asked, in a voice more concerned than I’d wanted, he took off his glasses again, “Trying to be.” [126]

“That is what death is like. It doesn’t matter what uniforms the soldiers are wearing. It doesn’t matter how good the weapons are. I thought if everyone could see what I saw, we would never have war anymore.” [189]

“No matter how much I feel, I’m not going to let it out. If I have to cry, I’m gonna cry on the inside. If I have to bleed, I’ll bruise. If my heart starts going crazy, I’m not gonna tell everyone in the world about it. It doesn’t help anything. It just makes everyone’s life worse….” “But if you’re burying your feelings deep inside you, you won’t really be you, will you?” [201]

“Well, what I don’t get is why do we exist? I don’t mean how, but why.” I watched the fireflies of his thoughts orbit his head. He said, “We exist because we exist.” “What the?” “We could imagine all sorts of universes unlike this one, but this is the one that happened.” [13]

“If I’d been somone else in a different world I’d've done something different, but I was myself and the world was the world, so I was silent.” [30]

No comments:

Post a Comment